AP exam preparation
giasuib.com – Advanced placement program – AP is taught at most high schools in the US. AP exam preparation attracts many students who intend to study in the US, because the admissions committee prioritizes students who take AP classes over regular students.
All levels in the AP program
Unlike other university preparatory programs such as IB or A-level, AP only study for 1 year and no level division.
About the AP program
AP classes take 1 year for each subject. There are a total of more than 30 subjects for students to choose based on their abilities, interests and future orientation:
- AP does not limit the minimum and maximum number of courses students want to register.
- Normally, each student will choose 2 to 3 subjects related to university majors.
- Students do not need to study all the AP courses of their choice at the same school year but can enroll one subject per year according to their own plans.
- Beginning in the 10th grade if you realize that you have the ability and knowledge to attend this advanced class in a specific subject, you can register the subject with the school.
AP is not a program, AP is an advanced class for students who are quite good and want to access knowledge equivalent to the first year of university as well as receive high appreciation from the university’s admissions committee.
AP exams are given only once in May each year. Students will receive an AP certificate for each subject that they have completed and passed.
For more: Find AP preparation center
- AP scale ranges from 1 to 5 for each subject.
- 3 is considered to be the passing score of the AP certificate.
Conditions for getting an AP certificate
- Achieve a minimum of 3 for each subject.
- However, top universities all require scores from 4 to 5.
AP program entry conditions
The AP program does not require students to complete lower levels of other international programs such as IGCSE or MYP as long as they meet some of the following conditions:
- Completed 9th grade knowledge.
- Currently attending grade 10 or 11 or 12.
- Good academic English level.
- Good subject knowledge ability to join AP class.
For more: Where to find AP prep books?
International schools that teach AP program
- SSIS (Saigon South International School)
- TAS (The American School)
AP classes provide intensive knowledge equivalent to the first-year college degree to prepare students for a sound foundation upon entering this academic environment. Therefore, if you do not invest seriously studying, it is difficult for them to adapt and achieve the target score to save the ticket to the desired school. Therefore, students studying in AP need an AP exam preparation course from the beginning to be able to complete and receive a certificate for the subject they choose to take.
- Set goals for each subject.
- Plan study from overview to detail for each subject.
- Refer to AP books from different publishers.
- Exchange lessons with friends.
- Ask teachers in charge of a subject when problems arise.
- Self-research, reading, referencing from friends, teachers will help students remember knowledge for a long time.
- With the same amount of time, friends cannot spend too much time helping them.
- Practically with class time no teacher can impart all the program knowledge along with a full range of exercises from basic to advanced.
AP exam preparation with tutors
- Strengthen solid foundation knowledge.
- Can ask all questions about AP knowledge and exercises.
- Instructed on solving advanced exercises to get the maximum score.
- AP exam preparation has a high cost due to difficult program characteristics.
For more: How to find an AP tutor?
giasuib.com – A place to share experiences of learning international programs such as IB, AP, A-level, IGCSE, GED... If you have any questions, please contact directly by email or hotline for free advice.