Topics in IGCSE Chemistry
giasuib.com – IGCSE Chemistry is a subject that helps learners understand the world they live in and is interested in science and scientific development. Do you know the topics in IGCSE Chemistry?
- IGCSE Chemistry program
The purpose of learning IGCSE Chemistry
IGCSE Chemistry includes the basic principles and concepts that are fundamental to the subject, some current applications of chemistry, and a strong emphasis on practical skills. In addition, this subject also helps you can:
- Enable learners to acquire sufficient knowledge and understanding to become confident citizens in a technological world and develop an informed interest in scientific matters.
- Allow learners to recognize that science is evidence based, understand its usefulness, and limitations.
- Develop skills relevant to chemical research and practice that can be useful in life.
- Effective communication through the language of science.
That’s what you got from studying IGCSE Chemistry. Now we will go into the focus on the topics in IGCSE Chemistry, to see what knowledge you will learn.
For more: Find IGCSE tutor for students
- The particulate nature of matter: State the distinguishing properties of solids, liquids and gases in terms of particle separation, arrangement and types of motion.
- Experimental techniques: Describe and explain methods of purification by the use of a suitable solvent, filtration, crystallization and distillation.
- Atoms, elements and compounds:
- Define proton number (atomic number) and nucleon number (mass number) in the nucleus of an atom.
- Describe the differences between elements, mixtures and compounds, and between metals and non-metals.
- Construct word equations and simple balanced chemical equations.
- Define relative atomic and relative molecular mass.
- Electricity and chemistry: Define electrolysis and describe the electrode products and the observations made during the electrolysis.
- Chemical energetics:
- Describe the meaning of exothermic and endothermic reactions.
- Interpret energy level diagrams showing exothermic and endothermic reactions.
- Chemical reactions:
- Identify physical and chemical changes.
- Interpret data obtained from experiments concerned with the rate of reaction.
- Define oxidation and reduction in terms of oxygen.
- Acids, bases and salts:
- Describe the characteristic properties of acids.
- Describe the characteristic properties of bases, neutrality and relative acidity and alkalinity of pH.
- The Periodic Table:
- Describe the change from metallic to nonmetallic character across a period.
- Describe the halogens, chlorine, bromine and iodine in group VII, as a collection of diatomic non-metals.
For more: IGCSE exam preparation
- List the general physical properties and the general chemical properties of metals.
- Identify representations of alloys from diagrams of structure.
- Describe the conversion of iron into steel using basic oxides and oxygen.
- Air and water:
- Describe, in outline, the treatment of the water supply in terms of filtration and chlorination.
- Name the common pollutants in the air.
- Sulfur: Name some sources of sulfur and the use of sulfur in the manufacture of sulfuric acid.
- Describe the manufacture of lime (calcium oxide).
- Name some uses of lime and calcium carbonate.
- Organic chemistry:
- Describe the properties of molecules within a fraction.
- Describe the properties of alkanes and describe the bonding in alkane.
- Describe the properties of aqueous ethanoic acid.
For more: IGCSE skill test
giasuib.com – A place to share experiences of learning international programs such as IB, AP, A-level, IGCSE, GED… If you have any questions, please contact directly by email or hotline for free advice.