What challenges do AP Calculus AB often bring to students?
giasuib.com – AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC both cause many difficulties for students. When choosing this subject, students need to have a good grasp of the Math foundation. Although compared between AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC, AP Calculus AB is easier, what challenges do AP Calculus AB often bring to students?
What is AP Calculus AB?
AP Math is divided into two separate courses: AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC, which are managed by College Board. A prerequisite for a student to take one of the two AP Calculus courses is to have a foundation in Math and a grasp of geometry and algebra.
AP Calculus AB is considered as a prerequisite course to study in universities and colleges later. Most universities and colleges often have requirements for Math or Quantitative, so students who score high on AP Calculus AB exam will meet this need.
The skills that AP Calculus AB students will learn are:
- Determining expressions and values using mathematical procedures and rules.
- Justifying reasoning and solutions.
- Using correct notation, language, and mathematical conventions to communicate results or solutions.
AP Calculus AB course covers the main topics such as functions, graphs, limits, derivatives, and integrals. Therefore, it is very important to master the basic knowledge of algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and basic functions. The reason why AP Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC cause many difficulties for students is that not been prepared thoroughly in terms of knowledge. If you do not do well in Math at the high school level, when exposed to these courses, you will have difficulty even with the simplest topic.
To make AP Calculus AB is no longer a nightmare, here are the important units that you should keep in mind in the course:
- Limits and Continuity: You will be learned this concept in the Pre-Calculus course, which can be considered as a summary of the most important contents that often appear in AP exams.
- Differentiation and Applications of Differentiation: Derivative is always the key content you need to grasp whether studying AP Calculus AB or BC. Students need to thoroughly be able to discern estimates of derivatives through a graph, differentiation of a straight equation, practical applications of derivatives, and understanding the relationship between differentiation and integration.
- Implicit, Inverse and Composite Functions: Although these belonged to the above group, they are complex enough to classify as a whole other major area. You need to note how to implicitly differentiate, how to differentiate or integrate inverse functions, and knowing how derivatives are affected by composite functions are separate and important concepts that need to be kept in mind to apply in the test.
- Integration and Applications of Integration: Integration is one of the two important concepts of AP Calculus AB and mastering this part will help you to conquer the analysis easily. Integration has many practical benefits and helps students process information from functions that you may not have learned before. Practicing many exercises related to integration and its application will help you do well on the test.